Optimizing usage and operation
It means ease of operation for end users and ease of implementation and usage for companies. We believe that usability is one of the most important features of Facial Recognition. Panasonic has been making products that match human needs with the world they live in for 100 years. Accordingly, we deliver our Facial Recognition systems for optimal utility in various applications and environments into which they are delivered.
Airport “Facial Recognition gate” with improved usability wins the Good Design Award: a prestigious design award in Japan
At Facial Recognition gates introduced at major airports in Japan, including Haneda, Narita, Chubu, Kansai, Fukuoka, New Chitose and Naha—as well as Cabo Verde in Africa— strict, yet smoothly run identity verifications through Facial Recognition are accomplished—having been designed so that each task, from holding passports over readers to facing Facial Recognition cameras, is accomplished using a minimum of time and effort. A mirrored surface makes camera operations less intimidating, a wide area promotes the orderly movement of people through the entrance, and space is provided to keep suitcases and other luggage out of the way. In addition, we adopted a highly visible guide display that is easy to read even from a distance featuring a rounded shape and a soothing color scheme in this well-thought-out and user-friendly Facial Recognition system. Our Facial Recognition gate won the Good Design Award in 2017: a prestigious design award in Japan.
Facial Recognition Technology
The world’s leading* provider through AI
Facial Recognition by Panasonic employs “deep learning” technology paired with image processing technologies developed over many years. The world-class in our Facial Recognition technology* allows for accuracy through the effects of. angles, aging, and even glasses or masks.
For example, at gate entries or exits, face images are advance checked automatically for Facial Recognition suitability. In cases where face images are not suitable, a retake notification posts. In areas such as transport stations or stores, the installation of cameras that enable the optimal arrangement in a particular environment and space allow a Facial Recognition engine to demonstrate its functions to the fullest.
*Based on NIST official evaluation report, IJB-A FACE VERIFICATION CHALLENGE PERFORMANCE REPORT, released April 28, 2017. Subsequently, the error rate was reduced to 20 percent, as of November 2019.
Deep learning accelerates technological evolution
Panasonic began developing Facial Recognition in 1992, and has since met a wide range of demands, while also developing technologies that make use of facial data. Furthermore, in 2017, Facial Recognition operations were possible using an improved precision system that could perform Facial Recognition in various situations using a special algorithm, combining deep learning (that mimics learning processes of the human brain), with similarity computation methods designed to reduce errors. Boasting the world’s highest level of accuracy, it can be used in a variety of applications.
Protecting personal information through technology and know-how
Facial Recognition is a collection of personal data. Through technology and the diligence of the staff, Panasonic’s management practices ensure security of personal information.
Data derived from features through Facial Recognition are stored on a cloud server and safely managed through Panasonic’s strict data security standards. Individual support is also possible through installation onto end users’ management servers without leaving a face image.
Information management capabilities
In addition to the technological aspects, there is a hard emphasis placed on complete protection of personal information, which comes from know-how gained through many years of collected knowledge. Panasonic’s position of trust within the security field comes from holding the number one share of surveillance cameras and payment terminals equipped for Facial Recognition in Japan. Company operations can now manage personal data responsibly and with peace of mind by using Facial Recognition.
What is Facial Recognition?
Facial Recognition is widely used to create a safe and secure society with more efficient management. We will provide an introduction to the mechanics of Facial Recognition, what can be gained from it and also the value of implementing it in ways that are easy to understand.
Panasonic's Facial Recognition Technology is of great value in various scenarios
At the office
Provides high security and reduces costs in office environments. People may pass through security gates without IC cards. Visitors' faces can immediately be recognized and their images made available after a simple photo and registration process. The danger of lost or stolen cards and the need to reissue them are eliminated.
- An advanced face image quality assessment algorithm selects the optimal image registration for Facial Recognition and streamlines the process of entering and exiting the premises. This creates a stress-free and secure office environment for both employees and visitors.
- A system for batch registration by administrators is also possible in large office buildings. These are effective for exhibitions, educational tours, MICE* functions and large IR (Integrated Resorts).
- Real estate giant Mitsui Fudosan Co., Ltd. integrated Panasonic’s Facial Recognition entry/exit security system when they relocated to the Nihonbashi Muromachi Mitsui Tower, in Nihonbashi, Tokyo, allowing them to realize handsfree entry/exit by walk-throughs.
- In July 2019 Facial Recognition checkers was installed at point0 Inc. at the office entrance, as well as in 18 private rooms in the cooperative area.
- The introduction was made at the headquarters of Panasonic Corporation Connected Solutions Company where all 8,000 employees were registered, thus demonstrating the effects on both company attendance and operational systems.
*MICE: MICE is an acronym that refers to Meetings, Incentive Travel, Conventions and Exhibitions. MICE functions can be for international organizations, academic societies, trade fairs and more.
Both departures and returns run smoother when supported by Facial Recognition. Pre-registration is no longer required. By collating the face image embedded in a passport’s IC chip with the image taken at a Facial Recognition gate, departure and return procedures can be strictly, yet smoothly run.
- A user interface that reduces the psychological effects of the camera, and a passport reader that adapts to positions creates a user-friendly environment.
- The world-class Facial Recognition engine adapts to conditions such as aging, makeup, facial expressions and image quality for registered persons.
- Spatial and overall service designs based on trials and experimentation enable the optimum configuration in a limited space.
- Panasonic’s Facial Recognition gates have been put into operation at the Immigration Bureau, the Ministry of Justice in Japan since October 2017 and at seven major airports: Haneda, Narita, Chubu, Kansai, Fukuoka, New Chitose and Naha. A total of 203 units are now online. In December 2020, 11 units were delivered to four international airports in Cabo Verde, Africa and have greatly reduced the time needed for border control.
Smooth and secure payment processing with Facial Recognition. “Face payment” means that the ability to shop empty-handed—even at unmanned registers—is now possible. Additionally, customer registrations, including shopping characteristics and purchase histories will increase spending through customized marketing, such as targeted signage.
- Making payments possible using the world’s highest level of Facial Recognition and deep learning technology. Realizing a smoother, newer, more dependable shopping experience.
At amusement parks
Adding convenience for visitors and more effective time/energy efficiency of staff. Creation of “face passes” for in-park attractions or entering/re-entering the park. Registration is simple and visitors enjoy a safe and convenient park experience.
- A design that smoothly runs the sequence of face registration→recognition→park entry→attractions→exiting, while keeping track of ticket types and uses. Support for large operations servicing 2 million visitors per year.
- By moving away from conventional business models, we have improved working conditions for staff and improved sales through greater efficiency.
- Analysis of entry/exit records by attractions yield data for future planning and management, leading to improvements in customer satisfaction.
In July 2018, a Facial Recognition system was implemented at the entry/exit and boarding gates at all 39 attractions in the Japanese amusement park, Fuji-Q Highland.
Crowd congestion upon admission can be eliminated, while safe, secure and smooth event management is supported.
Where crowds are anticipated, venue entry and attendee reception are smoother. With verification possible through Facial Recognition, spoofing and ticket scalping at concerts and sporting events are prevented.
- Face registration and Facial Recognition take less than 10 seconds, and less than one second, respectively*. Quick identity verification eliminates crowd congestion at admission time.
- From the intuitive operations developed through our background in home appliances, the learning curve for these tools is gradual and stress-free even for beginners.
*Authentication time depends on server status.
In web applications
Provides safe, secure and accurate Facial Recognition for developers.
Accuracy of facial photos affect the effectiveness of dating apps. Panasonic’s Facial Recognition technology can alleviate doubts of whether the face on display in the photo belongs the real user.
- Identity verification is more powerful using the world’s highest level Facial Recognition technology with deep learning. Spoofing and creation of multiple accounts from single users are prevented.
- High-accuracy Facial Recognition can be implemented easily and securely in a short time by pulling up the Facial Recognition Web-API via the network.
- Panasonic’s Facial Recognition API service is used on the Tapple dating app, operated by Tapple, Inc.